Although the organization is not well-known outside of Boston, the members of the Society of Printers are (well-known): Bruce Rogers. D.B. Updike. Dwiggins. Baskin. Stinehour. The oldest graphic design organization in the country (It predates the AIGA by nine years.), the SP currently has very few printers. It was just founded when everyone involved in making books was called a printer.
Prepared to commemorate its centennial in 2005, this portfolio features an eclectic assortment of broadsides, type specimens, calligraphy, cards, prints, and fun-on-paper—all contributed by members (with one guest). Noted contributors include Matthew Carter (with a signed specimen of his Hyperion revival), Hermann Zapf, David R. Godine, Rocky Stinehour, Lance Hidy, and John Benson.
- Editors: Al Gowan, Elton Hall, and Katherine McCanless Ruffin
- Size: 11.75 × 15 × 2 inches (box)
- Pages: Approx. 36 loose sheets of various sizes and shapes
- Binding: Portfolio
- Edition: 150 copies
- Condition: All fine but the box label is lifting (as is common)
- Publisher: Society of Printers, 2005