Don’t be put off by the completely unremarkable cover on this portfolio of bookplates by Pieter Wetselaar. And don’t be put off by the fact that these are bookplates and you’ve no interest in bookplates. Approach this is a portfolio of lettering—because it is loaded with remarkable examples of his lettering and calligraphy. And this is possibly the only English-language source of information about Wetselaar as it comes with a very short bio. (Here it is even shorter: He worked at Enschede with Van Krimpen and Hartz, designing stamps, banknotes, and book covers.) (We do have a Dutch book about him which is a good resource with further pics.) Even if we know nothing about him, this is work worth knowing.
- Introduction: Herber Blokland
- Size: 6.375 × 9.5 inches
- Pages: 16 loose leaves
- Binding: Paper portfolio
- Condition: Some minor darkening on the lower back—emphasis on minor. Former owner’s bookplate.
- Language: Dutch and English
- Notes: WorldCat shows only two copies: Yale + State Library Victoria (Australia)
- Publisher: Exlibriskring van de W.B.-Vereniging, 1982